You would like
A unique tour
Observe 4 distinct layers of history in the Basilica San Clemente
La découverte d'une face cachée de la capitale italienne
La visite de la Basilique San Martino Ai Monti
Essential information *
Duration 3 hours 30 minutes
Starting time 9:50 AM , 2:30 PM
Discover Rome's catacombs and crypts on this guided tour that reveals the relics hidden underneath the Italian capital.
You will begin your underground exploration with one of the funerary chambers below Rome to see the catacombs where the first Christian martyrs, condemned to death for their faith, were buried.
Then you'll move on to the Basilica San Clemente, under which a real archeological treasure is concealed: a 4th-century church, hidden deep beneath the basilica. Venture deeper still, and you will be able to see a 2nd-century temple to the ancient god of Mithra before hitting upon a Roman road which has been almost perfectly preserved.
Finally, you will visit the Capuchin crypt, whose walls are lined with the remains of almost 4,000 monks of the Franciscan Capuchin order.
The tour will end at via Labicana or Piazza Barberini, at approximately 6pm.
Good to know
- Availability (excluding exceptional dates)
Summer: every day
Winter: Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday
- Departure point: Piazza Barberini
- Please note that photography and filming are not permitted within the sites visited
- This tour is not accessible to people with reduced mobility
- Pushchairs/strollers are not accepted on this tour
- Guided tour of Rome's catacombs and crypts
- Entry to the catacombs of the Basilica St Clemente
- Entry to the Capuchin crypt
- Bus travel between the different sites
Price doesn’t include
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Tips (optional)
- Any other extras