You would like
A tour round the heart of Harlem
A traditional Afro-American lunch (optional)
Attend a Gospel mass
Informative commentary delivered by a professional guide
Essential information *
Duration 4 hours
Visit this famous area of Manhattan!
Discover the history of the area, which was at the heart of the Afro-American renaissance, during this bus and walking tour. Explore the district renowned for its Jazz, Soul and American Swing and visit historic buildings such as the Apollo Theater. Follow in the footsteps of Martin Luther King and Malcom X when they were fighting for civil rights and the end of racial segregation.
At the end of the tour of this historic part of the city, you will attend a traditional mass in a church, where you will be able to enjoy the wonderful voices of the Gospel Harlem choir.
Finally, after mass, a traditional lunch will be served (optional), giving you the chance to taste some typical Afro-American soul food in one of Harlem's best restaurants.
The languages proposed vary according to the day/time of the tour.
- English: 9am Wednesday and 9:30am Saturday
- French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese: 9am Wednesday and Saturday
When you book, you will be asked to choose from the following options:
- Tour of Harlem
- Tour of Harlem with lunch
Good to know
- Availability: Wednesday and Sunday (excluding exceptional dates)
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese
- Departure time: 9am (all tours on Wednesday); 9.00am (tours on Sunday in French, Portuguese, German, Spanish and Italian) and 9:30am (tours on Sunday in English). The departure time may vary according the the time of mass
- Departure point: near to 8th Avenue
- The churches chosen for this tour are traditional churches and not toursit attractions. By way of of respect for the participants, camcorders and cameras must not be used during the Mass. Smart dress is required; shorts, tank tops and flipflops are not permitted
- It is customary to leave a tip at the end of the tour
- Children under the age of 5 years can participate for free if riding on the knees of their parents
- Your tour may be provided in more than one language, depending on members of the group. Mass is given in English and is not translated
- Please arrive 15 mins before the tour
- On Sundays the tour includes a traditional Gospel Mass, where as on Wednesdays the tour includes a Gospel Concert. In both cases, the presentations will take place in a traditional church
- The tour of Harlem is principally a bus tour, with two stops which will enable you to explore the neighbourhood on foot
- Guided tour by air-conditioned bus (with stops to walk around the area)
- A traditional gospel mass
- Lunch in a restaurant (optional)
- Drop off back at Time Square
Price doesn’t include
- Transfer to and from your hotel